The Deaf Awareness course is designed for anyone in a work or social capacity who has the potential to come into contact with deaf people. Gain an understanding of how to communicate more effectively with those hard of hearing to profoundly deaf.
DEAF AWARENESS LEVEL 2
The Deaf Awareness programme provides a general introduction to deafness. Its purpose is to provide information and strategies that will enable individuals to understand a range of deaf issues and use the knowledge gained to communicate more effectively with those from the hard of hearing through to the profoundly deaf.
It is designed for anyone in a work or social capacity who has the potential to come into contact with deaf people, for example care workers, education and training bodies, emergency services, hospital and health centre staff, housing associations, legal services, public sector workers, support organisations, banks and retail staff, theatre and cinema staff, transport bodies and breakdown services, friends, family members and partners, whilst also being a valuable first step for people planning on becoming a communication professional. The programme will equip the candidate with awareness skills that when applied will reduce the barriers arising from the communication difficulties between hearing and deaf people.
- Gain knowledge of effective communication with both lip-readers and Sign Language users
- Understand a range of relevant legislation available in respect of people with hearing loss
- Become familiar with the work of communication professionals and organisations which support people with hearing loss
- Module 1: Perceptions of deafness: What is deafness?
- Module 2: Communicating with Lip-readers
- Module 3: Communicating with Deaf Sign Language Users
- Module 4: Assistive Aids
- Module 5: Communication Professionals
- Module 6: Deaf Community and Culture
- Module 7: Legislation
- Module 8: Organisations Supporting People with Hearing loss
The programme is carried out using a comprehensive blended learning resource pack which can be kept to record a staff members development in the subject. Assessment is through a multiple choice question paper and completion of workbook.
Our aim is to provide you with the best deal available when purchasing the Deaf Awareness course, therefore the registration fee, certification fee, Tutor guide and end of unit examination is included in the course price for you.